British Midland (bmi) is offering new members of their Diamond Club frequent flyer program free silver status. No strings attached. Simply join through this
link (Update 3/15: dead again! 3/14: Tip of the hat to Gary and his readers).
Silver status on bmi, normally earned after flying 16,000 miles on bmi or a Star Alliance partner, includes a number of benefits including:
- New Premium Check-in Area at London Heathrow
- Access to Diamond Club and Business Lounges
- Access to other executive lounges overseas
- Receive an additional miles bonus of 25% of the actual distance you fly with bmi or their airline partners
- Europcar car hire upgrade voucher
- Use of the priority business check-in desk
- Priority ticket sales desk
- Priority on standby
- 20kg additional baggage allowance
- Dedicated Silver card enquiry line for bookings or enquiries
- Guaranteed Business class booking 48 hours in advance on our operated flights, even if the flight is full (currently excludes longhaul flights and Leeds Bradford to Glasgow and Edinburgh and bmibaby flights)
Not mentioned above, and probably most notable to most of my readers without status, is that silver status on bmi will allow you to check one bag for free whenever and wherever you travel on United, Continental, and US Airways. That alone makes it worthwhile to sign up for this offer. You also will enjoy priority boarding on UA, CO, and US flights.
This deal is only avaible for new members of the bmi Diamond Club program, but nothing is stoping you from signing up for another account if you alreay have one and don’t hold status with BD.
(tip of the hat to Ben)