I live just a flew blocks from Philadelphia’s 30th Street Station when I am in Philadelphia and conveniently for me, United Airlines has codeshare service with Amtrak out of ZVF to Newark Airport, allowing me to easily make my connections west. Even better, when adding on a ZFV-EWR to just about any itinerary ex-EWR, prices tend to drop, sometimes dramatically. But today I learned something new…
Today is actually my last trip–I’ll be leaving Philadelphia for good in a couple weeks and for the third week in a row my trip today commenced on Amtrak. Typically I leave my house or office (also a short walk away) about 20 minutes before my train departs, arrive 10 minutes before, collect my ticket, and board the train. Today I neglected to check the train status and arrived at 3:45p to find my 3:57p train delayed 20 minutes.
I took a seat on one of the wooden benches in the main concourse, pulled out my laptop, and sent a couple e-mails. Having done that, I decided to take a walk around before departing–after all, it may be several years before I set foot in the station again.
I walked past the entrance to Amtrak’s ClubAcela lounge and noticed a sign listing the entrance requirements. I was surprised to see that Continental President’s Club members had access and wondered if the lounge agreement was still intact with post-merger United.
I pulled up Amtrak’s lounge page and indeed it is–
ClubAcela, Metropolitan Lounge and First Class Lounge
Amtrak offers several types of private lounges for Acela Express First Class passengers, sleeping car passengers, Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus, Select Executive members, United Club Members and private car owners.
Who is eligible for access?
- Amtrak Guest Rewards members with a valid Select Plus or Select Executive member card.
- Amtrak passengers with a same-day ticket (departing) or ticket receipt (arriving) in First Class or sleeping car accommodations.
- United Club Members with a valid United Club Card may bring in two guests or their spouses and children under the age of 21. Additionally, United Global First or United BusinessFirst passengers with a flight coupon or boarding pass with a segment in United Global First or United BusinessFirst.
- Complimentary ClubAcela Single-Day Pass holders. Same-day travel ticket not needed.
- Private car owners/lessee and party between time of arrival and departure specified in the PNR. PNR number to be given to Club representative upon entry.
Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus members will continue to enjoy access to the United Clubs through February 2012. Present your valid Select Plus card at the United Club to enjoy complimentary beverages and snacks, free Wi-Fi and more.