United Airlines released an update concerning its future relationship with US Airways–
As you’ve undoubtedly seen, American Airlines and US Airways closed their merger today. While our partnership with US Airways will be ending on March 30, 2014, it’s still “business as usual” until then. Here are some things you need to know for the next few months:
- All current tickets for travel on US Airways will be honored
- You can continue to book award travel on US Airways using MileagePlus miles through March 30, 2014 (for any travel dates within the published schedule, even beyond March 30, 2014).
- You can also continue to earn MileagePlus award miles on US Airways flights through March 30. On US Airways flights earning MileagePlus award miles you will also earn Premier qualifying miles, Premier qualifying segments, and Premier qualifying dollars for US Airways flights (in accordance with PQD/program rules) between January 1 and March 30, 2014
- Star Alliance benefits on US Airways will apply through March 30, 2014.
- If you have a United ClubSM membership, or if you are traveling on a United international premium cabin ticket, you can access the US Airways Club through March 30, 2014.
No big surprise here though I am pleased to learn that United miles (and presumably other Star Alliance mileage currencies) can be used up until the bitter end on March 30, 2014, the date US Airways leaves Star Alliance, to book award travel on US Airways flights.
The question is–will US Airways continue to release award space? Will it release different space to American Airlines than it does to its Star Alliance partners?
All we can do is pose the question now, which means if you are eyeing a US Airways booking for 2014, better to make it now rather than later if you are using a Star Alliance loyalty program like United MileagePlus to book the ticket.