Ethiopian Headquarters has contaced me via e-mail concerning the $763 Bangkok fare.
As I evaluate how to proceed with Ethiopian, I do wish to be transparent and post all correspondence. Having led you through this saga, it is only fair.
Here’s the note:
Dear Mr. Matthew,
This has reference to the ticket case which you have been corresponding with our colleague Mr. Tadesse.
First and foremost please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience you have encountered in this occasion. We have made an exception and had secured approval to treat your case differently and honor the ticket you have bought . However , it came to our attention that you are no longer interested to use the ticket as you have made other travel arrangements. The other alternative at hand will be to process full refund of the ticket you bought from us either in cash or in voucher with the same form of payment and currency . Please confirm receiving of our message to instruct the concerned office to act accordingly.
Once again , we highly regret the ordeal caused and look forward to the pleasure of serving you again .
Well, at least they have been talking to each other and staying on top of this now.
I am still contemplating how I might be able to take advantage of this ticket.
Is requesting to fly LA to Bangkok back to LA reasonable or is that pushing it? How about just Toronto to Bangkok and back, as originally ticketed, just in the opposite order?
I won’t push this one too hard, but I’d still like to experience Cloud 9 (business) class on Ethiopian Airlines for the blog, including the overnight transit experience in Addis Ababa.
Some have suggested that I would be a sellout to do business with them now. That is not my concern. If I refunded my ticket and took them up on their earlier offer for a free review I would disclose it but it would undoubtedly compromise my review (the reason I turned it down in the first place). I’m not going to do that.
If I just fly this ticket at a later date, would they be prepared (like China Eastern was for Lucky and me)? Or would I get at least a genuine experience of the seat, IFE, and onboard catering?
A lot to think about as I craft a response to Ethiopian Headquarters. Here’s what I am leaning toward: I will attempt to re-shceulde this trip on the condition that they honor the fares of others who request it. That’s a request I owe all of you.
Should they refuse, I’ll post the response here and we can discuss the final decision.