Miami-Dade Police shot a knife-wielding man who managed to breach a security checkpoint and make it all the way to the tarmac before being apprehended. Terminal J remains closed.
I received an text from one of my employees a few hours ago stating that his Delta flight was delayed out of Atlanta due to “some shooting in Miami.” His aircraft was coming in from Miami and I saw that it had pulled out of the gate at 7:51p ET but had sat on the tarmac for nearly three hours.
There was no breaking news stories yet, but soon enough a story popped upon the wire. Here’s how a local CBS affiliate covered it–
Here’s a summary of what happened, based upon what we know now:
- A man armed with a knife gained entry to the secure of the airport by entering through the exit in Terminal J
- TSA noticed and alerted law enforcement immediately
- The man breached a second secure area and gained access to the tarmac
- Miami-Dade police officers rushed to airprots
- The man barricaded himself into a room off the tarmac and tried to escape via a ceiling panel
- Passengers evacuated from Terminal J and moved to Terminal H
- Man was shot, wounded, and taken to the hospital
- No word yet on his motive
- Terminal J remains closed
Security incident involving a single suspect & @MiamiDadePD has occurred at MIA. Situation under control. Terminal J is temporarily closed.
— Miami Int'l Airport (@iflymia) September 8, 2017
With Hurricane Irma approaching Miami, anxiety is pulsating through the airport tonight. I am sure details will emerge, but I wonder if this could have been a man who was denied boarding or could not purchase a ticket and responded in this way out of desperation.
Lastly, to all my readers in Florida: stay safe. I hope the storm veers east and completely avoids you!
image: Jason Walsh / Wikmedia Commons