Sunday evening I travelled from BUR-SFO-IAD-PHL, including a redeye from SFO-IAD. United is currently running two redeyes from SFO-IAD Sunday evenings, a 767 departing at 2230 and a 757 departing at 2315. I am used to taking the 2230 flight, but chose the later flight for the following reasons:
- To give me time to grab a snack in the Singapore Airlines’ lounge
- So I would not miss my connection to IAD if my flight from BUR was delayed
- I prefer the 757 to the domestically-configured 767
- I am a night owl, so the later the flight, the better I sleep
- Many passengers who show up early may standby on the earlier flight, giving me more room on the later flight
Unfortunately for me, when I arrived at SFO I noticed a huge crowd at the gate for the 2230 SFO-IAD flight and had to listen to a gate agent attempting to solicit volunteers to take the later flight. You don’t know how much that hurts.
There would not have been a $600 voucher for this bump, but a r/t voucher for taking a flight 45 minutes later would have been nice (btw, I wonder why UA didn’t IBD a few passengers since they would be arriving at their destination less than an hour after originally scheduled, meaning UA would not be obliged to provide any compensation?).
Maybe this was an abnormality (though I’ve been bumped off a Sunday night SFO-IAD flight before), but this week I booked the 2230 redeye for Sunday night, when I’ll fly the same route again.