With five hours left before closing time at midnight ET, this is your last chance to take advantage of the current Aeroplan redemption chart before new rates kick in tomorrow. If you’re going to Europe in the next year and have American Express points, it’s still not too late to take advantage.
As a reminder, here are the negative changes we are seeing:
- Short-Haul (short flights) Within Canada:
- Business class is rising from 25,000 miles to 30,000 miles round-trip
- North America and Europe 1:
- Business class is rising from 90,000 miles to 110,000 miles round-trip
- First class is rising from 125,000 miles to 140,000 miles round-trip
- North America and Europe 2:
- Business class is rising from 105,000 miles to 115,000 miles round-trip
- First class is increasing from 145,000 miles to 160,000 miles round-trip
- North America and Southern South America:
- Business class is rising from 95,000 miles to 110,000 miles round-trip
- First class is rising from 135,000 miles to 140,000 miles round-trip
- North America and Australia:
- Economy class is rising from 80,000 miles to 90,000 miles round-trip
The changes are modest, but there is no use spending more points if you can book your trip this evening. Two countries change regions tomorrow as well — Poland moves to Europe 2 (more miles required from North America) and Luxembourg moves to Europe 1.
These changes are not great, but modest and do keep in mind that that starting tomorrow you will pay less for some awards to India and will finally be able to book one-way awards to/from any region (currently, one-way awards must originate or conclude in the USA or Canada).
Check out the new award chart here.
Award Expert agents have been on the phone with Aeroplan all day today and have reported moderate hold times of 45 minutes to one hour. I suspect hold times will be worse later this evening, so do not procrastinate any further.
If you book now under the old rates and have to change your travel plans later, you will not be charged at the new rate as long as the regions do not change (this was confirmed by several agents today). The Aeroplan change or cancellation fee is C$90.
Good luck booking last-minute!