The SWISS First Class award saga may now be in the trench warfare stage. Last week, I received an updated itinerary from Aeroplan without any other notice or explanation. Yesterday, I received a phone call from Aeroplan.
> Read More: Aeroplan Rebooks Me on Air Canada…Without Notice
Note, Aeroplan did not just call me out of the blue. I had to reach out to my PR contact and ask for a phone call. Recall that Aeroplan promised to reach out to everyone in the “next few days” and a whole week transpired before I made this request.
My point was not to pull the blogger card to get preferential treatment, but to better understand Aeroplan’s pulse on the situation. Since the last public statement, Aeroplan has not answered any of my follow-up questions.
My phone rang. It was an agent named Mindy. She was very kind and seemed unaware that I have written about this issue extensively. She explained that I had been rebooked on Air Canada in business class. Furthermore, she triumphantly stated she had been able to eliminate my overnight layover in Toronto. Now I only have a 6.5 hour layover…with baby Augustine.
My Questions to Aeroplan
I started asking questions about what really happened. She claimed she had no idea — that it was beyond her pay grade. She only confirmed that SWISS cancelled the space and repeatedly stated it should never have been bookable in the first place. At one point she stated that the reservation never confirmed, but I corrected her: the reservation ticketed and confirmed and showed as valid on SWISS.com for 24 hours.
Next, I pointed out that Aeroplan had rebooked some passengers in revenue business class on the same SWISS flights that were cancelled. She claimed that such rebookings were completed only for a tiny handful of passengers before the problem was better ascertained. She also claimed that SWISS cancelled those revenue tickets as well (that seems far-fetched…).
Finally, I asked whether Aeorplan and Air Canada were working together to pressure SWISS to re-instate the tickets. She again passed on the question, stating she was not privy to such discussion.
I ended the call by stating my objection to the unilateral cancellation. She offered to cancel the itinerary and send my points back to American Express. I told her to leave the reservation intact for now, though I would not fly on the current routing. She stated that she had scoured award space for first class options but there were none.
Just another update for you. I will continue to update you as this case transpires. My game plan for now is to wait for the DOT to address my complaint. If that does not occur before my travel date, the plan remains to fly home on another routing (even if it is via another Aeroplan ticket).