United Airlines is running a 20% off flash sale on saver award flights to Hawaii.
If you’re a United Premier member or a United-branded credit card holder, a pre-sale has already began and you can book space today. If you’re a general member and do not have a United credit card, you sale begins (and ends) tomorrow. The flash sale will run until 11:59p CT on Wednesday.
Here are key details of the fare sale:
- Ticketing Period: March 13, 2018 – March 14, 2018 for Premier members and Chase cardmembers
- Ticketing Period: March 14, 2018 for General non-cardmembers
- Travel Period: April 8, 2018 through May 20, 2018
- Valid for travel to/from Hawaii
- Travel must be booked on a round-trip basis
- Valid for travel on all days of the week
- No blackout dates
- United- and United Express-operated flights only
- Economy cabin only
- No stopovers are permitted
The sale is already live on united.com:
Is This a Good Deal?
As always, compare the price of the ticket versus the cost of the redemption. Your personal valuation of miles will determine whether this is a good deal for you.
For example, I took a look at a LAX-HNL r/t from April 18-25th.
36K miles + $11.20 or $497. I value United miles at 1.5 cents each, so 36K miles amounts to $540.
It’s close. If you don’t feel like spending much out of pocket, this isn’t a horrible redemption. But I’d still buy considering 1.) the miles I would earn on the flight and 2.) the opportunity cost: I prefer to use my miles for premium cabin redemptions.
Act fast: saver space is limited and the sale only runs through tomorrow. But if you’re looking to go to Hawaii using your miles, there are far worse redemptions available. Finally, keep in mind that if you book something today you have up to 24 hours to cancel without penalty.