When United Airlines begins accepting new reservations for its PetSafe program this summer, many dog breeds and a handful of cat breeds will no longer be welcomed.
United’s PetSafe program is currently under review. Working in collaboration with American Humane, United has established a stricter set of guidelines in order to minimize the risk of unnecessary animal death.
Currently, only members of the U.S. military can take advantage of the PetSafe program.
United will begin taking PetSafe reservations once again on June 18, 2018 for travel for pets traveling on the same flight as their owner or guardian beginning July 9, 2018. Starting on July 16, 2018, United will again allow reservations for pets traveling alone for travel beginning July 30, 2018.
Reservations can be made as much as 30 days in advance, but must be made five days prior to travel. Be sure you assembled all necessary paperwork required.
The following breeds of dogs and cats will no longer be accepted for reservations effective June 18, 2018:
- American Bully
- American Pit Bull Terrier/Pit Bull
- American Staffordshire Terrier/”Amstaff”
- Belgian Malinois
- Boston Terrier
- Brussels Griffon
- American Bulldog
- English Bulldog
- French Bulldog
- Old English Bulldogges
- Shorty Bulldogs
- Spanish Alano/Spanish Bulldog/Alano Espanol
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
- Chow Chow
- English Toy Spaniel/Prince Charles Spaniel
- Japanese Chin/Japanese Spaniel
- Lhasa Apso
- American Mastiff
- Boerboel/South African Mastiff
- Ca de Bou/Mallorquin Mastiff
- Cane Corso/Italian Mastiff
- Dogo Argentino/Argentinian Mastiff
- Dogue de Bordeaux/French Mastiff
- English Mastiff
- Fila Brasileiro/Brazilian Mastiff/Cao de Fila
- Indian Mastiff/Alangu
- Kangal/Turkish Kangal
- Neapolitan Mastiff/Mastino Napoletano
- Pakastani Mastiff/Bully Kutta
- Pyrenean Mastiff
- Presa Canario/Perro de Presa Canario/Dogo Canario/Canary Mastiff
- Spanish Mastiff / Mastin Espanol
- Tibetan Mastiff
- Tosa/Tosa Ken/Tosa Inu/Japanese Mastiff/Japanese Tosa
- Dutch Pug
- Japanese Pug
- Shar-Pei/Chinese Shar-Pei
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier/”Staffys”
- Tibetan Spaniel
- Exotic Shorthair
Dog and Cats ONLY
Aslo effective June 18, 2018, United will only accept dogs and cats: no other household animals.
During the warmer months (01 May thru 30 September), United will not accept pets traveling to/from:
- Las Vegas (LAS)
- Palm Springs (PSP)
- Phoenix (PHX)
- Tucson (TUS)
I give United credit for balancing risk with a desire to offer this service. If I’m playing armchair CEO, I wouldn’t even bother with the transport of pets. While the new breed restrictions eliminates one comparative advantage United had in its pet transport program, there is a reason American and Delta also ban these high-risk breeds.
Note, PetSafe is a cargo-hold program and does not impact United’s in-cabin service animal and emotional support animal polices.
> Read More: Surprise: United Suspends PetSafe Program New Bookings…
> Read More: Perspective: Why More Dogs Die on United