In a rare pushback in the politically correct world of corporate capitulation via lip service to the environmental movement, Lufthansa’s chief is scorning the flight shaming movement.
Speaking at the IATA Wings of Change conference in Berlin, Carsten Spohr, Lufthana’s CEO, came out swinging against the flight shame movement.
Airlines should not have to be seen as a symbol of climate change. That’s just fake news.
Our industry contributes 2.8% of global CO2 emissions. As I’ve asked before, how about the other 97.2%? Are they contributing to global society with as much good as we do? Are they reducing emissions as much as we do?”
Don’t get me wrong. This does not release us from the responsibility to act to drive down emissions, as we have done over the past 10 years. Now, there is just a little more rational discussion required of being healthy, for all of us around the world to deal with this important topic.
I find Spohr’s language refreshing. What a nice change of pace from moaning about how bad cheap flights on Ryanair and EasyJet are for the environment.
And in the case of cutting emissions, it really goes beyond flight shaming. New and fuel efficient aircraft not only are better for the environment, but save money. It’s a win-win. Spohr added;
We do not need to be ‘woken up’ to saving fuel. Fuel is 20 to 25% of our costs. We’ve been trying to drive costs down for years!
I’ve written about how the flight shaming movement has caught on in Sweden and the Netherlands. That has forced airlines like SAS and KLM to adapt, sometimes in ironic ways, like KLM initially celebrating its centennial by encouraging people not to fly.
> Read More: KLM Shames Itself To Celebrate 100th Anniversary
Spohr demonstrates, however, that airlines are not the main problem and unlike the energy sector–which is emitting more carbon dioxide than ever before–at least airlines are taking the issue seriously and actually taking steps to cut emissions.
(H/T: Simple Flying // image: Lufthansa)